Here’s an interesting concoction. A chocolate syrup-inspired barbecue sauce to try on grilled pork or chicken.
Hersey’s Special Dark Chocolate variety is used because it’s not as sweet as its more popular cousin milk chocolate. Starting with the familiar ketchup base, vinegar adds some twang, and hot sauce provides the kick.
You might want to substitute for one of the other bittersweet chocolate syrups on the market from any of a number of gourmet chocolate houses. While more expensive, they’ll add a more complex and richer flavor.
Season your meat with a little complimentary cocoa powder (use unsweetened) for double chocolate goodness.
Hershey's Chocolate Barbecue Sauce Recipe
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup Hershey’s Special Dark syrup
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 small onion
- 2 cloves diced garlic
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tbsp cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tbsp prepared mustard
- 1/2 tsp hot sauce
- In a sauce pan saute onions and garlic in olive oil, cooking until tender.
- Stir in lemon juice, salt, pepper, paprika and hot sauce. Simmer for 5 to 6 minutes and reduce heat.
- Stir in ketchup, vinegar and Hershey’s Syrup. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes.
Related content you might like:
- 11 Best Built-In Gas Grills for 2023
- 10 Best Natural Gas Grills for 2023
- 10 Best Wireless Meat Thermometers for 2023
- 15 Best Stainless Steel Gas Grills for 2023
- 10 Best Gas Grills Under $1000 for 2023