This Grilled Chicken Involtini with Prosciutto and Basil recipe has become a new favorite in my household. It’s so juicy and delicious. Your family will love it!
Until recently, I’d never heard of an involtini.
What in the world was an “involtini,” I’d wondered? It sounded like an electrical device!
As it turns out, it’s now one of my new favorite words.
What is an involtini? It’s an Italian word for a small bite of food consisting of an outer wrapper with some sort of filling inside.
Also known as a roulade or Swiss roll, it’s a traditional European type of appetizer. Involtini is made with a wrapper of meat, poultry, seafood, or vegetables, with different fillings like cheese, vegetables, cured meats, and nuts.
This Grilled Chicken Involtini with Prosciutto and Basil recipe consists of thinly sliced seasoned chicken breasts rolled together with prosciutto, provolone cheese, and basil. It’s served on a bed of marinara sauce with fresh basil.
Believe me when I tell you, IT’S DELICIOUS. And my 11-year-old daughter pronounced it her new favorite dish.
Here are the ingredients for this recipe:
I found thin-cut chicken breasts at my local grocery store that worked perfectly for this recipe. In total, I probably spent about $20 on this recipe, and it was worth every penny, it’s so decadent and delicious.
As a side dish, I bought a frozen bag of Flav-R-Pac Roasted Red Potatoes and Vegetables Blend, they paired really nicely with the chicken rolls.
I hope you and your family enjoy this involtini recipe as much as we did.
Grilled Chicken Involtini with Prosciutto and Basil
- Butcher's twine
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, about 8 ounces each
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- ½ tsp ground black pepper
- 4 slices very thin prosciutto
- 4 slices provolone cheese, halved
- 8 large basil leaves plus more for garnish
- 2 tbsp Extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups marinara sauce good quality
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat.
- Lay out about 12 inches of plastic wrap on a cutting board. Place the chicken on one side of the plastic wrap and fold the remaining plastic over the chicken, leaving about two inches from the folded edge. This will allow the chicken to spread out as it gets thinner.
- Gently pound the chicken with the flat side of a tenderizer or bottom of a heavy pan until the chicken breast is about ¼ of an inch thick and almost doubles in size. Don't pound too hard or the chicken might break.
- Season each piece of chicken on both sides with the salt, granulated garlic, and pepper. Place the chicken on a smooth work surface.
- Lay a slice of prosciutto on each piece of chicken. Then lay down 2 halves of the provolone and cover with basil leaves.
- Carefully roll up the chicken, keeping it tight. Tie two pieces of butcher's twine around each piece to keep it together. Trim the loose ends of twine. Lightly brush each rolled piece of chicken with olive oil.
- Brush the cooking grates clean. Grill the chicken over direct medium heat with the lid closed as much as possible until golden on all sides, about 12-14 minutes, turning a quarter turn every 3 minutes.
- Remove the browned chicken from the grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Warm the marinara sauce in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
- Remove the twine from the chicken rolls, cut into slices, and serve on a warm pool of marinara sauce. Garnish with torn pieces of basil.
- Serve with Red Potatoes and Peppers (Optional)
Chris JohnsChris Johns is the founder of Rock's Barbecue® and has been an avid barbecue fan for over 20 years. His mission is to make grilling and smoking the best food possible easy for everyone. And each year, he continues to help more people with grilling, smoking, and barbecue recipe recommendations.
Healthy Grilled Chicken and Veggie Quesadilla Recipe
Try our healthy grilled chicken and veggie quesadilla recipe for a delicious and nutritious meal. Perfect for a quick and easy dinner option. Get the recipe now!
Grilled Persian Chicken Kabobs Recipe
Try our delicious Persian chicken kabobs recipe! Juicy and flavorful, perfect for any occasion. Get the recipe now at RocksBarBQue.com.