These Persian Chicken Kabobs are so delicious and easy to make. Serve them with pita bread, rice, and Mast-o Khiar (Persian Yogurt with Cucumber) for an amazing meal your family will love!
There’s something about warm weather that inspires me to want to make Middle Eastern or Mediterranean dishes. I think it has to do with the thought of sunny places, beautiful landscapes, and delicious healthy flavors. I’m a food romanticist.
These Grilled Persian Chicken Kabobs (also called Joojeh Kabob) have the perfect combination of spices to give them just enough flavor without being overwhelming.
Here are the ingredients for Persian chicken kabobs:
To make these, you just need 7 basic ingredients that only take about 15 minutes to prepare. You marinate the chicken for at least 30 minutes, but for maximum flavor, I recommend marinating them for 24 hours in the refrigerator.
As a side dish, I used packaged rice, but they also go well with basmati rice. The recipe for Persian Yogurt with Cucumber (Mast-o Khiar) can be found here.
Grilled Persian Chicken Kabobs Recipe
- Bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes
- 1 large onion
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 tbsp dried oregano
- 2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 cup Extra-virgin olive oil
- 10 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, about 4 ounces each, cut into 1 ½-inch pieces
- In a blender or food processor, puree the onion, lemon juice, paprika, oregano, and garlic. While it's blending, add in the olive oil.
- Place the chicken pieces in a large, sealable bag and pour in the marinade. Squeeze out the air and seal the bag. Turn the bag to mix the marinade around the chicken pieces. Allow the chicken to marinate for 30 minutes or more.
- Prepare the grill for direct cooking over medium heat.
- Take the chicken out of the marinade and thread onto the skewers. Space them apart enough so they're not quite touching. Discard the marinade.
- Clean the grill's cooking grates. Grill the kabobs over direct medium heat with the lid closed as much as possible, until the meat is fully cooked but not too dry, about 8 to 10 minutes, turning once.
- Serve the kabobs with pita bread, seasoned rice, and Persian Yogurt with Cucumber (Mast-o Khiar).
Chris JohnsChris Johns is the founder of Rock's Barbecue® and has been an avid barbecue fan for over 20 years. His mission is to make grilling and smoking the best food possible easy for everyone. And each year, he continues to help more people with grilling, smoking, and barbecue recipe recommendations.
How to Grill Juicy Chicken
Learn how to grill juicy chicken with our step-by-step guide. Get expert tips and tricks for perfecting your BBQ skills. Visit RocksBarBQue.com now!
Healthy Grilled Chicken and Veggie Quesadilla Recipe
Try our healthy grilled chicken and veggie quesadilla recipe for a delicious and nutritious meal. Perfect for a quick and easy dinner option. Get the recipe now!