Chocolate’s good for more than just dessert. This Spicy Cocoa Rub recipe will add a delicious chocolate flavoring to almost any meat dish.
The cacao bean, the source of chocolate’s powers, has been used in savory dishes since its discovery. Mexican moles, for example, will often include unsweetened chocolate in their ingredients list. The earthy acidic flavor of unsweetened chocolate can add interest to many meat types.
Here’s a recipe for a spicy rub made with unsweetened cocoa powder that goes great on pork, lamb, or chicken. Just give them a good coating of the rub before grilling. This rub works especially well with steak, which gives you more surface area and thus more chance to enjoy the cocoa rub flavors.
Spicy Cocoa Rub Recipe
- food processor or spice grinder
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (natural)
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 2 tsp red pepper flakes, dried, chopped fine
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- Simply combine the ingredients together in food processor or spice grinder until the red peppers have been ground fine.
Related content you might like:
- 10 Best 4-Burner Gas Grills for 2023
- 11 Best 3-Burner Gas Grills for 2023
- 15 Best Tabletop Grills for 2023
- 10 Best Gas Grills Under $300 for 2023
- 9 Best Vertical Pellet Smokers for 2023